Wednesday 20 April 2022

From the plague pit

Archie playing with his toy
Archie, April 2022
I still have Covid. I don't know how long this will take.

The food delivery was fine although the delivery guy took a big step back when I told him I had Covid. He took my bags, shut the front door and transferred the stuff, then rang the bell again and I just carried it in.

Archie the bundle of Labrador energy arrived on Saturday and departed on Sunday. He is very young and hasn't got very far in his training because his foot injury halted progress - the foot is now better - and he didn't like me being out of sight at any point. He had to respect a closed door, but sat outside it until I emerged. We spent some time playing with a toy until I got tired, and then he just ran around with it on his own. We went for a short walk towards the ice cream shop, but I discovered they have reverted to selling indoors so didn't feel I ought to go in. Archie didn't think I ought to meditate either, in fact I had to give up after the third time he sat on me. Despite the lack of ice cream and meditation, Archie and I had a good time together.

Archie in his bed

Archie has not been the only visitor to Lola Towers. A friend who likes to go for motorcycle rides when the weather is good chose to come in my direction on the sunniest day of the Easter weekend. As we sat in the garden I told him about the ice cream disappointment, and he offered to do the honours so I got my ice cream after all. Another friend came with the lawnmower part that I requested so I could mow the lawn. I nearly asked for another ice cream, but it was a bit early in the day and seemed presumptuous when he'd already bought me the lawnmower part.

In refugee news, I have put up the smoke alarms (I chose to use sticky pads in the end) and sent pictures of the alarms and also the Gas Safety Certificate to the District Council Housing Officer. The Disclosure and Barring Service have sent me the Enhanced Certificate which I have filed away as I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do with it. And my guest has sent word that her Permission to Travel has been granted, so now it's just a question of getting her here with or without her cat, which may have to go into quarantine.

Archie and toy again

2 comments: