Thursday 14 April 2022

Dead, Alive, Not Very Well?

Buddhists walking in the gardens
The Burial Mound at Adhisthana, April 2022

I have Covid.

I'm certain I caught it from the four Buddhists I took to the station at the end of my weekend retreat on Monday - they were at the same venue on a different retreat. Ah, Buddhism, reaching out into the world to end suffering and spread compassion and disease for the benefit of all beings - oh, wait...

After I got back home from the retreat on Monday I had an evening online meeting which was fine, then woke up on Tuesday feeling exhausted and with no appetite at all. I thought the fatigue may be a result of the retreat, which had been wonderful but very intense and emotionally stirring. I did a Lateral Flow Test, which was negative, took the car to the garage, came home and waited for the gas engineer to do my gas safety check and give me the certificate I need for the Homes for Ukraine scheme, collected the car from the garage, drove to Rugby where they were doing the Disclosure and Barring Service checks of documentation for the Homes for Ukraine hosts, and continued to feel incredibly tired. I decided to skip the local Buddhist meeting in the evening, just in case. It was the lack of appetite which really indicated something was wrong!

By yesterday I was definitely worse, with a pounding headache, temperature of 101.5 degrees F and still no appetite. I cancelled the trip I was due to make to London to meet sisters and stay with parents, and lay about the house in a fog of tiredness. I watched a very easy movie (Disney's 'Soul') but had to pause it in the middle to have a rest, and spent the rest of the day lying on the sofa doing little but listening to music and some light reading. My appetite started to pick up later in the day as I started to sneeze. 

I still managed to attend an online meeting last night, hosted by Warwickshire County Council all about being a local host in the Homes for Ukraine scheme. They have some experience with refugees from Afghanistan and Syria so seem quite organised. I am regularly in touch with my guest via WhatsApp, and her application for a visa seems to be progressing as they now want to see my passport.

LFT showing strong positive result
So today I did another LFT which is most definitely positive for Covid. Thankfully my appetite is back and the headache and fatigue are gone  (making this blog post possible), but sneezing and congestion have taken their place. I have now had to order my very first online supermarket delivery - I must be the last person in the world to enter the 21st century of food delivery. I like walking around a supermarket.

I've had to cancel a number of Easter weekend visits though - the gas engineer highlighted a small problem at the gas meter so we contacted the infrastructure people to fix it and they were going to come on Friday, and I'd arranged to meet friends on Sunday and Monday. I am also due to look after a dog from Saturday to Sunday, but when I contacted Guide Dogs we decided that as I wouldn't be going inside the kennel building or meeting anyone at all, that could go ahead. The dog has got a problem with his foot so won't need a lot of walking and we can be invalids together.

2 comments: