Wednesday 2 June 2021

Coasting to retirement

Close up of daisy bud
June 2021
Welcome to the first day of Lolatastic Life! My fourth career, after Engineering, Disability IT, and then Dietetics. 

Engineering was a poor choice of degree, although I made many friends who are still some of the best people I know and frequently appear within these virtual pages (including Mr MXF, CERNoise, the Buddhist formerly known as Sas, two of the J's in Family JJL+J). It did give me a start in IT, which I followed up with the job at RNIB, probably the best job I've ever had, before the switch to Dietetics.

I had an old friend from school who had similarly decided later in life to train as a Physiotherapist. When he found out about my plan to become a Dietitian he wrote me a long message that essentially told me not to do it, for the exact reasons that have now led me to move on. "You'll find it too frustrating," he wrote. "Nobody will listen to your ideas, and even if they do you won't be able to change anything." He was right, but that's not the whole story. I seem to have an attention span that will not extend beyond seven years in a job.

So now I have what they call a 'Portfolio Career'. I'm vaccinating (yes, that's started up again), working for Mr MXF, helping out with mum and dad, doing quite a lot with the Buddhist group, still working on the LTRP, and I've just signed up to be considered as a volunteer for the Commonwealth Games in 2022, ideally for the badminton at the NEC or the lawn bowls on my doorstep (but if I'm picked the role could be anywhere). It does feel a little like the definition of career as a verb rather than the noun.

So here we are. I hope you like the new design - I've thrown it together in a bit of a hurry so it may change again. According to my web reporting tools, readership is currently down to single figures, so I don't think anyone is going to be objecting any time soon.

Welcome to Lolatastic Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment