Tuesday 21 May 2024

Another busy week

Tulips and trees
Adhisthana, April 2024
I only managed two days at the retreat centre last week, because on Thursday I joined Lola II and Mr M for Mr MXF's 60th birthday dinner in London. Obviously all my peers are reaching this milestone within the same 12 months, but this is the only event I've signed up for. I'm not all that comfortable with parties, people I don't know well, small talk, and waiting ages before you can start eating because somebody is running late. But Mr MXF is a good egg and I'm glad I went.

A full day competitive cycle ride is due to take place where mum and dad live this week, which is all very exciting but the local roads will be closed and it isn't at all clear how the carers will get to them that day. That was the first job I had to tackle at my last visit to the parents, along with contacting a financial firm, the water company, the electricity and gas supplier, and the next-door neighbour. I also met one of the newest carers while mum went to the hairdresser on her mobility scooter for the first time since hurting her back many months ago.

My volunteering at the retreat centre last week was enlivened by the unexpected appearance of some visitors who turned out to be the original architect of one of the buildings with his wife and a friend. The building won a RIBA award in 1989, long before it was turned into a retreat centre, and he talked about the design and construction in a way that showed he cared a great deal about the project. I was very happy because having to write the monthly blog is quite tricky and this gave me some good material.

All the other parts of the job are stalled, because I received some feedback that the senior team wanted to see things before they are sent out. Not knowing exactly what they wanted to see, I've outlined to them what is lined up but I want some sort of signal that I'm clear to go ahead. Response times from these same senior people can be rather long. And this situation isn't helped by two email messages that I received, one of which came from the email address I'm supposed to be using. I worked out who the sender was for this one, but the other came from the woman who is away. This second message must have been created before she went and scheduled to go out automatically, but I wasn't expecting it and have no idea what else is in store.

I am starting to find the balance in my position between the retreatants who come for a weekend or a week and the community who live there full time. It's a little awkward to be part of neither, but last week I was invited to watch a film with two of the women who live there, so I've started to feel more relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment