Thursday 18 April 2024

Back from the retreat

Tree branches with moss and lichen
Tiratanaloka, March 2024
I was pretty apprehensive about the two-week retreat, because I didn't enjoy the last one (over Christmas and New Year) all that much. This time, however, it went very well. The topic was the ten precepts upon which Buddhist ethics is built - three about action, four about speech and three about the mind. The weather - well, it was Wales, but it didn't rain absolutely all of the time, and I managed a couple of long walks.

The main influence on whether I experience a good or bad retreat is the discussion group that I'm placed in. Last time there were only four of us, of whom one struggled to express herself in English (which is not her first language) and another just didn't seem to want to talk, leaving me and one other to carry the discussion, which was pretty tough. This time there were five of us, a very varied bunch, but everyone contributed in a constructive way. 

I came back from the retreat with a stinker of a migraine that put me in bed for the rest of the day. I'm convinced it was caffeine withdrawal, although during the retreat I always chose the teabags that were labelled decaff. This is the second time this has happened so in future I'll be avoiding doubt and taking my own certified decaff drinks.

When I got back it took a while to get through the accumulated messages that had piled up in all my different communication channels. I have visited mum and dad, mowed the lawn (but not trimmed the edges or done any weeding), went for a walk with a friend and his dog, went to Monday badminton, and had a lovely chat when I bumped into a previous landlord of the Pub Next Door. I also went to my monthly clarinet and saxophone group, and was reminded that the sax music is a lot more challenging this term for some reason, and I'm going to have to practise and perhaps even simplify some of it. 

UJ and I are not at home at the same time all that often when she is not working, but we started watching the new series of Taskmaster which is something we can do together. We also did a bit of coordination over our respective schedules for the next few months. UJ will be in charge of the bins and recycling for the next couple of months, because collections are on Thursdays and I will be away volunteering at Adhisthana (the retreat centre) from Wednesday to Friday for almost all of the next 10 weeks. 

I won't be in the kitchen this time, but in the office, trying my hand at marketing and publicity. The person who usually performs this role has gone to Spain for a three-month retreat, during which she will be ordained (accepted into the Triratna Buddhist Order and given a new name). Meanwhile, I will be doing my best not to make a mess of it all because I think I probably have the power to entirely destroy their website, and the access I've been given to their Facebook page and email account is quite frankly foolhardy.

Five horses in a field all looking at me

No comments:

Post a Comment