Saturday 1 January 2022

What I've been reading

Image of the book cover

The Convenient Marriage
by Georgette Heyer

narrated by Avita Jay
"Horry Winwood doesn't play by the rules. So when her family are near ruin and her sister is about to enter a loveless marriage to a wealthy man to settle the family debts, young and headstrong Horry proposes to marry him in her sister's place."
Classic Georgette Heyer, I just love her books. Having them read out to me lures me into spending much more time than I should just sitting listening, enjoying the wiles of the baddies and the twinkle in the eye of the hero and the warmth of the heroine, and all the other separate characters are drawn so clearly and sympathetically. And they always, always have a happy ending. Read Georgette Heyer if you'd like to feel good about the world.


Image of the book cover

Becoming
by Michelle Obama

narrated by the Author
"In her memoir, Michelle Obama invites readers into her world, chronicling the experiences that have shaped her — from her childhood on the South Side of Chicago, to her years as an executive balancing the demands of motherhood and work, to her time spent at the world’s most famous address."
I have to admit that while reading about Michelle Obama I discovered quite a bit about myself alongside what I learned about her. I had made quite major assumptions about who she was, her background and upbringing as well as paying very little attention to what she was doing while her husband was President. Both he and she were remarkable people, especially when viewed in the light of what came next, but not so much of a surprise given what had gone before. One of the most astonishing things was that she allowed her children to spend eight formative years in the White House along with their parents, but perhaps the Clintons had reassured her on that score. I've got Barack's latest memoir lined up and I'm looking forward to listening to that soon, but I'm not in the least interested in the biographies of the leaders of the UK. I think it's easier to be objective when not actually under the jurisdiction of the person in question.


Image of the book cover

The Red and the Green
by Iris Murdoch
"The scene is Dublin in 1916. As rebellion looms, tension mounts in the sombre, rain-soaked Dublin streets. A single Anglo-Irish family provides the diverse characters: Pat Dumay, a Catholic and an Irish patriot; his pious mother pursuing her private war with his step-father; Pat’s English-Protestant cousin Andrew Chase-White, an officer in King Edward’s Horse and Frances, the girl he loves."
For about three quarters of this book I didn't much like it, especially as I had to  read the first chapter three times and draw a family tree to make sure I understood who was who - not a good start to a novel. But the final quarter was pretty good, even if she had to write an epilogue to describe what happened to everyone after the main action was over. I still can't see the appeal of Iris Murdoch though.

No comments:

Post a Comment