Sunday 24 March 2024

What I've been reading

Image of the book cover

What Just Happened?
by Marina Hyde
"Marvel at the sights, from Trumpian WTF-ery to celebrity twattery. And boggle at the cast of characters: Hollywood sex offenders, populists, sporting heroes (and villains), dastardly dukes, media barons, movie stars, reality TV monsters, billionaires, police officers, various princes and princesses, wicked advisers, philanthropists, fauxlanthropists, telly chefs, and (naturally) Gwyneth Paltrow."
Another library book, this time from an author whose politics sketch column I enjoy in the Guardian newspaper. But it's a whole other thing to put all those columns together in book form, and there were a few times when I really thought I couldn't bear to read any more about political corruption and incompetence, even while she was satirising it all. The answer was to read very short amounts at a time, because the writing is good and worth reading, and in the end I did finish it.


Image of the book cover

Moonfleet
by J. Meade Falkner
"A thrilling Victorian adventure story of smuggling, cursed treasure, code-cracking, injustice, revenge, and friendship. Beginning as a mystery and an adventure story, this tale of smuggling is set among the cliffs, caves, and downs of Dorset."
Borrowed from Lola II when I ran out of reading material at the end of the skiing holiday - I remember the book on the shelf when I was growing up and somehow I don't think I ever read it. It was published in 1898 but set in 1757, which is interesting in itself, comparable to writing a story today set in 1883. Easy to read and follow, it kept me interested from start to finish and that's not been all that common with my book choices recently.


Image of the book cover

Clouds of Witness
by Dorothy L. Sayers

narrated by B. J. Harrison
"The Duke of Denver, accused of murder, stands trial for his life in the House of Lords. Naturally, his brother Lord Peter Wimsey is investigating the crime - this is a family affair. The murder took place at the duke's shooting lodge and Lord Peter's sister was engaged to marry the dead man. But why does the duke refuse to co-operate with the investigation?"
Apparently this was her second book featuring Lord Peter Wimsey and I was surprised not to have read it before - I thought I'd read all of them. There are a whole array of stereotypical characters: apart from the posh set there was a bounder, an aggressive farmer and his abused wife. It was OK, not one of her best in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment