Wednesday 28 February 2024

Two years

Camaraman, UJ and another woman getting ready for their interview in church
24 February 2024, Lillington church
Saturday marked the two year anniversary of the invasion of Ukraine, and a service was held in a local church. The tone was broadly Christian, and a few people contributed their thoughts, poems, songs and dance. UJ was one of the people who spoke for a few minutes about her experience, and read a poem. I'm glad that I went but it wasn't all that pleasant, partly because the row in front of me contained about six children who didn't stop fidgeting and talking the whole time. Also, there was a bit too much about God, who clearly doesn't have much interest in Ukraine, nor other parts of the world for that matter. Or perhaps, like Brexit, without God's involvement it would be worse.

The local woman who has been organising in Warwick District on behalf of the Ukrainian population from the start - helping them learn English, find schools for their children, apply for housing and lots more - is still working hard in that capacity. Most refugees have now left their hosts to live independently; UJ is the exception in that respect, but I'm happy to have her and I think she's also content to stay. The local organiser had a hand in arranging the service, and invited ITV to come and film. After the main service the cameraman arranged a repeat of a couple of the performances: a man accompanying his daughters on his guitar, a child reciting a poem and another child singing and dancing. He also interviewed UJ and another woman, and some of all this was broadcast on ITV news in the evening.

From this event, and from a subsequent Buddhist meeting, it is clear that UJ is sparing me much of the trauma that she is experiencing - being separated from her family and friends, some of whom have been conscripted into the Ukrainian army, and no doubt others who are wounded or have even been killed. She is, understandably, angry and filled with hate. I am glad that despite this she seems to manage to enjoy life in the UK. For example, last Sunday when her train was cancelled so she couldn't join other Ukrainians for a hike, she went to the British Museum. This weekend I am away, but my neighbour has invited her to join her for a few things.

There seems no end in sight to this or to other conflicts and wars, and the human suffering inflicted is more than I can contemplate. So I don't contemplate it, not until it is brought to my attention in this personal way. I can do no more than try to embody love and compassion, because immersing myself in the reality of war and politics will help nobody and will destroy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment